LFT results, SGOT 50.30, SGPT 71.40, protein 8.33, albumin 5.05. Treatment for high SGPT ?

Could you help me with lft results. Bilirubin direct 0.22, bilirubin total .70, bilirubin indirect 0.48, sgot 50.30,sgpt 71.40,ap 71,ggt 90.80,protein 8.33, albumin 5.05, albumin/globulin 1.54. Pl advise if there is anything to worry and how do i get my sgpt and other levels to normal.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. It is primarily the SGPT which is raised in your case. The commonest cause of the same in your age group is due to fat deposition in the liver called a fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle. My first suggestion is to get an ultrasound of the upper abdomen done to rule out fatty liver.

The serum ALT (SGPT) level usually is greater than the AST level in non-alcoholic variant of fatty liver. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese.

If fatty liver is found, then you need to restrict your alcohol intake (if you are taking any) and do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver.

I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: LFT results, SGOT 50.30, SGPT 71.40, protein 8.33, albumin 5.05. Treatment for high SGPT ? 1 hour later
i am a moderate drinker mainly beer. my cholesterol is 261, hdl 50, tgl 230 and ldl 163 could those be the reasons for high sgpt. any food i should avoid or consume more. life style has been sedentary for quite some time
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me.

The rise in the cholesterol and the fatty liver usually go hand in hand.

The best way to avoid the both is by doing some lifestyle management. You need to avoid sweets and sugars in any form like cold drinks as far as possible and the same for the fried and fatty foods.

Please make sure that you consume plenty of raw salads and fruits. This not only reduces the calorie intake but also is a source of ample anti-oxidants which play a protective role against diabetes and heart disease.

A regular exercise of at least 30-45 min daily also helps in ensuring to avoid these. The exercise can be brisk walking, cycling, swimming, playing some game like badminton. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.