LFT done. Found raised sgpt and sgot level. Is this serious?

My LFT report says SGOT 51 and SGPT 68.9 bilirubin 0.17 , I am male 38 yrs old ,Is it something serious.Lipid profile normal
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 39 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Your reports indicates raised liver enzymes with normal serum bilirubin.

SGOT and SGPT is raised in acute liver damage, but is also present in red blood cells, and cardiac and skeletal muscle and is therefore NOT specific to the liver.

The ratio of SGOT to SGPT is sometimes useful in differentiating between causes of liver damage. Elevated SGOT levels are not specific for liver damage, and SGPT has also been used as a cardiac marker.

There are various reasons for raised liver enzymes:

viral hepatitis
alcoholic hepatitis

I think in your case,as the enzymes are mildly raised,with normal bilirubin,please see if alcohol,or drugs can be the cause in your case.

If not,the best course of action will be to redo the test in 4-6 weeks, if they are still elevated, you need to go for investigations to find the cause .

If you need further information, please let me know.