LDH is 268. Is it high? Do I have a lung disease?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013
Excellent

Question
Other labs are also serious LDH 268 high !! Please advise ? Do i have lung disease ?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to XXXXXXX forum. Let

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know your other associated features.
Do you have pallor/ yellow discoloration of skin/ abdominal pain/ chest pain?
Do you have red colored urine now a days or few days back?

LDH is lactate dehydrogeanse and exists in 4 isoenzymes.
LDH level may rise in hemolysis or breaking of red blood cells (may cause pallor and red colored urine), liver disease, pancreatitis, and myocardial infarction.

As such there is no direct correlation between LDH level and lung disease but serum LDH level may rise in pleural effusion/ pericardial effusion (collection of fluid in pleural and pericardial space). Inflammatory fluid collection (exudative) is diagnosed with raised LDH level.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist &chest physician and should go for thorough check up.

You should also go for complete blood count, liver function test, serum amylase, troponin I (if chest pain is present), serum haptogloblin level (indicates hemolysis), chest x XXXXXXX

You should also go for electrophoresis analysis of LDH to know exact isoenzyme.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.

Take care,
Let me know your other associated queries,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: LDH is 268. Is it high? Do I have a lung disease? 11 minutes later
Had ct chest 2 weeks ago see results , my dictor is not in office till monday. I had numerous labs done ans this was never tested ! I am concerned and worries if i have MYcardial infarction, some kind a ling disease. I was a 20 year smoker and was told i had early signs of emphysema. Also had these labs dome yesereday where i saw this LDH level please review ct scan report and labs

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, Smoking increases the risk of myocardial infa

Detailed Answer:

Smoking increases the risk of myocardial infarction. As per uploaded documents, there appears to be high possibility of smoking induced lung pathology which is known as COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).

There is no correlation between COPD and elevated LDH.
You should go for above advised investigations and let me know the results.

Sincerely,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: LDH is 268. Is it high? Do I have a lung disease? 14 minutes later

Sorry, a bit confused, saw a pulmongoloist about these ct scans and he did breathing test and said they looked fine. Had ct scan repeated to see what waa going on and those are the results i showed you. He dis not seem xoncerned and said return in 1 year to follow up unless i have other symptoms. I did a cardio ct scan all negative , stess test and echo done all negative. I dosnt know what the LDH can do to me so should i call my pulmonary doctor ans show him this? What else can cause ldh to be high ? Have you seen this innpatients!

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, I have already mentioned other causes of rais

Detailed Answer:

I have already mentioned other causes of raised LDH.

Although CT chest finding suggests lung pathology in form of nodular opacities with impacted mucus, clinical examination is mandatory and required before making any final diagnosis.

Cardio work up appears to be absolutely normal.
Complete hemogram is also normal and you should go for LDH isoenzyme evaluation, liver function test, serum amylase and reticulocyte count.

Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava