L4-L5 disc space narrowing, calcification, protrusion, spinal stenosis. What does this mean?

Question
Hello my name is XXXXXXX pleace help me
L4-L5 has mild disc space narrowing . There is calcification of the L4-L5 disc posteriorly and broad –based posteriorly disc protrusion and they sad that I also have mild spinal stenosis and trace atherosclerotic , classification is see in the right XXXXXXX iliac artery . I am in pain every day and I can’t even get out of the bed not play with my 11 years old son. However, you know how it is they are not the one in pain so they do not really care .
can you explain what is mean in plain english so I could understan and what can I do I fell like I what to blow my brain out that is how much pain I am in .
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

The reports that you have given states spinal stenosis and prolapsed intervertebral disc.

Regarding spinal disc herniation, which is also called slipped disc, it is a condition affecting the spine, in which a tear in the outer, fibrous ring of an intervertebral disc (space between 2 vertebrae) allows the soft, central portion to buldge out. You have narrowed disc space between lumbar 4th and 5th vertebrae.

In lumbar spinal stenosis, either the spinal canal, through which spinal cord passes (central stenosis) or vertebral foramen (foraminal stenosis) becomes narrowed. This causes pressure on the nerves causing the pain.

Calcification is the process in which calcium salts build up in soft tissue, causing it to harden. You have calcification in right XXXXXXX iliac artery.

The majority of herniated discs will heal themselves in about six weeks and do not require surgery. Non-surgical methods of treatment are usually attempted first, leaving surgery as a last resort and in this non steroidal drugs, lumbosacral back support and steroid injections are very useful.

Surgery should only be considered as a last resort after all conservative treatments (non-surgical therapy) have been tried and these include fascetectomy, foraminotomy, intervertebral disc annuloplasty, intervertebral disc arthroplasy, laminoplasty, laminotomy, microdiscectomy or spinal laminectomy.

You have already been on a number of pain killers for the pain, but there is no significant relief. Apart from that, there are epidural steroid injections, ultrasound therapy used to warm the area, which in turn brings blood flow and healing nutrients to the area or osteopathic manipulation.

But these are all short term treatments. Final treatment is by surgical technique.
Please consult an orthopedic surgeon/spine surgeon and discuss these treatment options with him. Till then, do a combination of strengthening, stretching and low-impact aerobic exercise after consulting a phsyiotherapist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: L4-L5 disc space narrowing, calcification, protrusion, spinal stenosis. What does this mean? 39 minutes later
do you thin I should go to the emergery room I can't even move

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Spinal stenosis and prolapsed intervertebral disc are not considered emergency situations and you can consult good orthopedic doctors in the outpatient department as well. Till then you can take pain killers like Tramadol which you are already taking.

Regards.