Kunscher nail on right femur,osteoarthritis,knee replacement

I have a Kunscher nail in the length of my right femur and now have severe osteoarthritis in addition to limited range of motion in the knee. Would I be a candidate for knee replacement and where is the best place in Chicago area to seek treatment? age- 64, weight-195, height- 5'7"
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

Osteoarthritis is an age related degenerative joint disease.

The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.

You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.

A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.

In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.

If all the above treatment options fail to improve your lifestyle, then knee joint replacement is the only option left.

You can do the surgery at your age, that is not an issue.

Your treating physician will be the best person to guide you regarding a good orthopaedic surgeon for knee replacement in Chicago.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.