Knuckle hard and swollen, painful. What should I do beyond taking Ibuprofen?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I woke up with my right index finger's knuckle hard and swollen. I have some pain but not a huge amount. Do I need to see a doctor? What should I do beyond taking ibuprofen?
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
If there is no history of injury to the area and there is localized pain and swelling then most likely it is related to a local joint inflammation. In addition to taking ibuprofen thrice daily after meals, you can do a hot fomentation and apply a local analgesic on the area for relief. Avoid moving the finger much until the inflammation subsides. This should be alright in 7-10 days if it is a minor inflammation.
In case the symptoms are persistent then consulting an orthopedician for prescription medicines will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.