Knot on thigh after a fall. Was a hematoma. Sometimes painful. What can be done?

I fell onto concrete steps two weeks ago. Went to ER, x-rays negative. I had a grapefruit-sized knot on the side of my thigh which they said was a hematoma. My leg was bruised about 40% of surface for 10 days. Now bruising is gone and lump is still there, about softball-size. It is painful locally. My doctor is on vacation and not sure what to do.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 38 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
As your doctor told you,it is a hematoma which is caused by the collection of blood.
This collection of blood and fluid will take around three weeks to get absorbed of it's own.
Since you don't have much pain and it is gradually reducing in size,you don't have to do anything.
Just wait and watch and relax.
You may apply some local heat for reduction of pain,if necessary.
I hope to have addressed your concern however you can revert to me for any follow up query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Knot on thigh after a fall. Was a hematoma. Sometimes painful. What can be done? 11 hours later
Thank you. You have eased my concerns. I have one more question, though: Should I be limiting my activities still? I would like to return to the gym and possibly Zumba class and would be willing to use my pain level as a guide to not overdo it.

Thanks much!
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Yes,you are right.
Use your pain levels as the guide.
You shall be alright in another few days.