Knot on the leg, soreness. Can it be tetanus infection?

Hello. I have a friend that told me about a small knot he had on his leg. He drives big rigs for a living and believes he my have bumped his leg on something, He ended up putting enough pressure on it that it 'popped'. He now has an open sore, seems to go a bit XXXXXXX into the skin, with sometimes clear puss, but recently XXXXXXX puss coming from it. He's had it for about a week...not hot to the touch, doesn't appear to be any kind of bite. He says no fever, nausea, dizziness.....trying to get him to the Dr but he's being difficult. My concern is a tetanus infection or some kind of staph infection. Any ideas?
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 2 hours later
Thank you for writing in,
It is definitely not tetanus. Symptoms will be different like inability to open mouth, lock jaw, spasm of muscles all over the body.
Your friend's symptoms are suggestive of an infection with bacteria like pseudomonas or staphylococcus. He definitely needs oral antibiotics and probably injectable antibiotics as well. This could turn serious if the infection spreads to the bone or to the whole body.
You must tell your friend that this is a definitely serious situation and prompt intervention is needed.
Before starting antibiotics, pus need to be sent for culture and sensitivity.
Its also important to rule out any underlying bone infection.

Kindly visit a physician and get him examined thoroughly and get the medicines prescribed according to the sensitivity of the organism.
If you have any doubt, write to me, I'll be happy to help you
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 17 minutes later

Your friend is lucky to have a caring friend like you.

I do not see any thing related to tetanus.Yes, possibility of wound infection is definitely there.

Discharge from the wound is suggestive of wound infection. As the surrounding area is not red, he is not having fever etc. it is likely that infection is localized to the wound at present.

Please ask him to do wound dressing as suggested below.

1. Sanitize the area of skin around the wound with alcohol or an antibacterial solution.
2. Carefully wash any foreign matter and pus from the wound. Avoid scrubbing the wound.
3. Place antibiotic ointment, or an antiseptic solution, on sterile gauze and apply to the wound. Secure the gauze to the wound and try to keep the bandage clean.

Please ask him to do dressing daily. The healing is expected in 3-4 days which can be judged by drying of wound, stopping of discharge.

One more thing, he should get tetanus shot by visiting doctor.

In case the wound does start healing then it is advisable that he should seek medical attention without delay.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to write again if you have some more queries, in case you do not have more queries please accept the answer.