Knocking inside head, off balance, head pain, fullness in ear. Worried about brain tumor.

I am so unhappy and frightened. I am a 55 year old female who started to feel unwell in August 2010. The start I am sure was a sharp pain just above my right ear more or less in my temple. From then I started to have the most strange symtoms. All I can describe it is as though I am not in my body - I am somewhere else. I didn't have dizziness but I feeling that my centre of gravity has migrated and that I was being pulled. I had headpains rather than a 'headache', slight pins and needles in my left foot, pins and needles in my hands and in my head and a general feeling of being unwell and panicky. I had a full eye check with an opthalmic optician & after many visits to my doctor who was convinced after doing bloods and checks that I was just depressed. However, all my physical conditions remained even after taking various anti-depressants and although he was convinced I didn't need an MRI the doc decided to order one just to reassure me. The MRI was done in Dec 2010 and came back clear (I also saw a neurologist).

I still didn't feel myself but the headaches cleared up and I felt reletively normal for 2 months - then symptoms came back albeit not so strongly. From April 2011 until beginning of December 2011 I had no more symptoms although I never felt back to my previous fitness. I am now desperate and unhappy because at beginning of December I awoke one night with a tapping sound coming from my right ear or right side of my head. Since then my previous symptoms have returned with vengence only difference is that I have this 'tapping' or 'knocking' inside my head or ear sometimes during the day but especially at night. I feel off balance and have head pains which worry me and sometimes I have a slight fulness in my left ear as well. I feel I can't enjoy anything, feel too poorly to partake in any of my previous joys like gardening and riding my bike and I sometimes get what I imagine are panic attacks which are horrid. My doc says I have seen neurologist and had MRI and he is at a loss as to what is ailing me. I think he believes I am just depressed. I am so scared. Even though I have had an MRI scan little more than a year ago I am scared it might be a brain tumour
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

First of all, let me reassure you that I do not think there is any type of life-threatening issue going on. Your symptoms are not suggestive of any brain tumor.

The pain and symptoms related to your ear are often caused by minor issues like impacted wax, ear infection or middle ear disease.

I do think that you should consult an ENT specialist who after a proper examination and appropriate investigations will guide you a proper treatment for your ailments.

Organic causes of your symptoms must be ruled out before attributing these to depression, etc.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.