Knocked my elbow. Noticed swelling and hurts to straighten my arm. How to get relief?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello I knocked my elbow at work last night rather badly an since then it has been slightly swollen and it hurts me to straighten my arm I can straighten it but it's hurting?
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 minutes later

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.