Knees hit temples after jumping. Having swelling on temples, hard to open jaw. What can be done to heal it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Almost two weeks ago I took a a hard wreck on my snowboard after jumping off about a 60' cliff. Upon impact both of my knees hit both temples pretty hard. I didn't black out but am experiencing some odd symptoms a few weeks later.

About a week after the crash my left temple became swollen and it was hard for me to open my jaw any wider than 2 fingers. Now two weeks after the crash the swelling has gone down for the most part but I still have a large knot on my left temple and am still unable to open my jaw further than two fingers. Attempting to open any further causes mild pain and soreness in my left temple.

Do I need to just give it some time to heal or are there things I can do at home to help get the jaw opening further and the knot on the temple to go away? I don't have health insurance so I can't afford to go see anyone.

Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The stiffness and the swelling seem to be due to a muscle injury causing a muscle spasm. Such pain and stiffness usually goes away in 3-4 weeks. Till then you can start taking a mild pain killer like Motrin every 8 hours. Do a hot fomentation in the area thrice daily.
You can also get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your physician for a better relief.
In case the movement of the jaw remains restricted, then it is best to get an X-ray of the area done to rule out any bony injury.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.