Knee started hurting when getting up from chair. How to avoid this?

Question
three weeks ago, both my knees started hurting bad when I try to stand up from a low chair or a chair I have been sitting in for an extended time.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Hi. Thank you for writing to us.

I have read your query and history. I understand your complaints can be restricting, let me provide you with some information which might help you understand the cause to your trouble.

The main point that is of concern in your history is your weight. An individual weighing 200 lb puts about 500-600 lbs of pressure on their knees during a simple activity like standing, walking or while trying to stand up; and around 10 times the pressure on their knee joint during activities like climbing, running, and squatting. Thus, by losing 1 lb in weight, the pressure reduced on the knee joint equals 10 lbs.

Obesity also accelerates the wear and tear of joints, leading to conditions like arthritis, osteoarthritis, etc. This could result in bone, tendon, or ligament damage.

The foot is the base of the body, holding all the weight, which is why you also experience the discomfort in your feet.

Another addition to the problem here is your age. Around or post-menopause a woman lacks the female hormone estrogen which is responsible for retention of calcium (keeps the bones strong) in the body. In the absence of estrogen, all the bones start losing their calcium, making them weaker and more susceptible to disorders and injury. You could discuss the option of starting on calcium supplements with your doctor.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for further clarifications. I would love to be of assistance.

Best wishes.