Knee replacement surgery, no appetite, nausea, lethargy, weight loss.

I had a knee replacement on 12/19; Basically the operation went fine, but now I find that I have no appetite; and slight nausea; and lethargy. I'm 75-yrs old and go to work every day. My weight was approximately 160 lbs when I had the operation and I'm down to 146 lbs.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 2 hours later

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

I would recommend that you follow up either with her family doctor or your orthopedist. Reason I recommend this is that the symptoms you are describing are nonspecific, i.e.,they could be caused by a variety of different conditions. There are certain postoperative conditions that he would want to rule out, including infection (including pneumonia), and possibly even a blood clot. If postoperative complications are absent, then other conditions (irrespective of the recent operation) should be considered.

Unfortunately, nonspecific symptoms such as these, cannot be accurately diagnosed by a e-mail communication. They will certainly require an accurate medical history, physical exam and possibly appropriate lab tests.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartzshe