Knee replacement surgery done. Have type a personality. Why do I feel weak after high protein diet?

Dec 2012

I am recovering from a nasty virus (not the flu) going around my area and am having trouble recovering my stamina. Often, after eating breakfast - especially if it is a high protein breakfast with eggs and/or bacon and fruit, I feel very weak, as though I should return to bed. However, I find that if I simply read the paper and hang out until lunch, I feel better after lunch. If I have breakfast with cereal, almond milk and fruit I more often than not do not have this problem. I might add I am 79 and since 2009 have had to handle several medical problems including removal a portion of my colon; repair of a stricture at the anesthemosis through several dilitation procedures; knee replacement surgery for both knees. I have always been a type A personality and its not been easy to step off the treadmill. In re-reading through this - maybe all I need to do is not eat protein until later in the day?
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 20 minutes later

Thanks for posting on this forum,

After reading through your past surgical history it but normal to conclude that due to the multiple surgeries that you have undergone you are suffering from poor food digestion, which results often metabolic disorder that could lead to weakness. Probably you are unable to secret the appropriate enzymes to digest the proteins and absorb the end products.
You could take foods that can readily be digested and that will cause less effects on your system. Protein intolerance is hardly possible but it is a condition that exist.
As you suggested yourself, I feel you should reduce protein consumption (but not completely stop it). Also increase your multivitamin intake.
Consult with a gastroenterologist or a dietician for the types of food suitable for you with multiple abdominal surgical interventions.

hope this was useful.
Dr Nsah