Knee replacement done. Swelling appeared during physical therapy. Suspected for knee bursitis. Second opinion?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had both knees completely replaced in the past three years. The first one became terribly inflamed and swollen during physical therapy. I had to have a revision on it before I had the second knee done because I was in soooo much pain and couldn't walk very well. Had the second one done and it has never stopped hurting. My family doctor says I have burcitis in both knees. All I know is that they both hurt and are swollen almost all the time and are almost like before I had my surgery; I wake up at night, can't walk for very long and can't get up and down very well. What do you suggest I have done. Should I get a second opinion? Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

Having some pain is not uncommon after Total knee replacement and it can be well managed by physiotherapy and doing some precautions.

There might be also possibility of having bursitis causing the pain in knees.
If pain , swelling and difficulty in walking is persistant, I suggest you to go for a new Xray of both knees and take a second opinion from an other orthopaedician.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.