Knee replacement done. Getting warm feeling and swelling on knee. Effective cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I'm 61 w/ a total knee replacement 6months ago. I'm athletic for my age and work out and stretch on a regular basis but my knee swells each time and my main concern is that it gets warm like a fever in it as though my body is rejecting the new knee. It can be light to causing me to limp but has still prevented me from going past 120 degrees on my new knee. Any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Sometimes, a replaced knee may get warm feeling for few months till there is a complete subsidence of inflammation. However, I am little concerned about the swelling your get after exercises. The range of movement you get depends not only on the surgery but also on the type of knee used.

For swelling I suggest, you must go back to your surgeons and ask for a X-ray.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Warm regards
Dr Deepak Goyal
Cartilage, Arthroscopy & Knee Surgery

Follow-up: Knee replacement done. Getting warm feeling and swelling on knee. Effective cure? 1 hour later
I had total replacement (VERILAST by XXXXXXX and Nephew) their latest 30yr knee. I went back to my surgeon for my first follow-up app. and was told the xray was perfect and again about two months ago for this problem and again the xray was perfect. My knee was badly damaged from an old ball injury and my Dr. told me the fever was my body getting use to the knee and the swelling was from rehab and informed me to slow down and be patient. I followed his instructions but I'm still having the problem.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 5 minutes later
I think your doctor must be right. Remotely sitting, I can advise you to follow him.

Alternatively you can scan your X-ray and send me. You have a feature to upload reports and pictures available on this website; you can utilize it. It might give better information to me.

Dr Deepak Goyal
Cartilage, Arthroscopy & Knee Surgery