Knee pain,yoga,ct-scan,x-ray,normal ultrasound,lubrication injection

I m having knee pain for past one month...i had the same knee pain 6 months ago(which i started getting after doing workouts in gym)...after stopping kneee pain slowly subsided....then i tryed yoga ...where i tryed to put my right ankle to my left thigh (strecthing)...but i started getting a dull achy pain which lasted constantly,....then i left doing that yoga practices ...and it was fine slowly i started doing workouts (only cardio in gym) pain for one and half month....but now recently i m getting pain...(may be i m using kickstarter for past two weeks for my bike ) doctor here told me to take ct,xray,ultra sound...i have taken all those and nothing was my doc told me take an injection...i want to know wether ot take it or not ..he said the prob is because of he is injecting lubricant in the knee....what should i do ?....thank u
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
At your young age, the pain in the knee is more likely to be due to stress related minor capsular inflammation rather decrease in the joint lubricants.
The mild inflammation of the knee after some activity like workouts or kick starting a bike mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.
6. Generally we recommended, rest, graded exercises, rest and graded exercises to let you know the right amount of time you can spend on exercise without injuring yourself.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.