Knee pain,cartilage problem,small baker cysts,shallow patella groove,inflammation

Hello, I am 26 years old, 120 lbs, 5ft 8in. I did ballet my entire life, but had to quit 2.5 years ago because my knee pain was too severe. I've had cartilage problems growing up, a baker cyst removal at age 5 and again at age 7 on the left knee, and two dislocations, one on each knee, that were both very tramatic yet I suffered no ligament/tendon tears. I have been diagnosed with Jumpers Knee, but I also have horrible crunching going upstairs and bending while standing. I have pain ALL the time, up and down stairs or doing any kind of activity. It has affected my every day life. I got MRIs and x-rays done in March and had an orthopaedic surgeon read them for me. The reports say I have fluid, small baker cysts, a shallow patella groove, jumpers knee and mild patella alta in both knees. He says my cartilage looks fine, but I know this is not normal. He gave me anti-inflammatories (Acteric) and they seem to be helping, a little. The crunching is still there, but one of my typical every day pains have seemed to have dulled since taking the meds.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
At your stage with fluid in the joint space and bakers cysts, inflammation and pain are expected. You will have to continue taking antiinflammatory drugs for your symptoms.
Giving adequate rest to the knee joint is a must for early recovery. Using a knee brace will help in reducing the pain.
For frequent and repeated fluid collections, intra- articular steroid injections may be given after consulting with your orthopaedician.
Avoid any kind of knee exercise while there is pain and inflammation.
Doing a regular hot fomentation of the joint with application of local analgesic gel will also help you.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Knee pain,cartilage problem,small baker cysts,shallow patella groove,inflammation 14 hours later
Thank you very much, this was very helpful. But I am still concerned with the crunching noises and pain associated with that. The doctor I visited said my patella seems to be off track a bit, when I bend my knee, the knee cap swings out a bit and they dont seem centered or 'on track'. The left knee in particular (which is the knee I have more pain with) really steers out when bent. To me, the crunching feels cartilage related, yet he said my MRI showed normal cartilage.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Crunching in the knee is most likely due to the resistance the bones feel when they slip over each other. Dont worry so much about it. It is not damaging your cartilage or any joint structures.
You only need to worry about pain. Dislocation of patella is not problematic until there are any symptoms. You can discuss about removal of patella surgically with your orthopaedician if the symptoms are not relieved with medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.