Knee pain while climbing stairs & doing sit ups. Suggestion for relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i had a knee pain since couple of year, i gets pain whenever i put pressure on my knees like while climbing staircases, sit ups..
Please suggest what should i do.

Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
From your symptoms it seems that you are having calcium or vitamin D 3 deficiency. Usually application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, calcium and vitamin D3 supplements, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.

I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Knee pain while climbing stairs & doing sit ups. Suggestion for relief? 21 hours later
Hi sir,
Thank you so much for your quick reply.
sorry sir i haven't given the details properly i guess.
i will try to explain the problem with details.
10 years back i felt down from 1st floor, but I did not get any fracture.
Often i will get the knee pains from that time onwards
Its gives the pain heavily whenever I put wait on my knee, climbing staircase if i have pain.
some times i wont feel any pain until unless i put heavy wait on knee.
I met doctors couple of times regarding this; they did not identify the problem, they just given ointment for temporarily.
i will play cricket occationally, i wont feel any pain while putting wait on knees.
it gives pain only some times, if pain started, it will be there for 2 to 3 weeks and again i wont feel pain for some days.
Could you please suggest me what should I do to cure my problem

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
It seems that you suffered some ligament injury or tear at the time of fall. The scar tissue that forms after healing often undergoes inflammatory changes in times of stress like climbing stairs repeatedly. An MRI of the knee joint will help in detecting the extent of damage you have suffered. The treatment will then be given according to the diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.