Knee pain, tingling sensation in hands and feet. What could this be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
i have tingling in my hands and feet and both knee pain what could this be?
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

There are three possibilities which point towards the symptoms of tingling of hands, feet and both knee .

1) The first possibility is of diabetes as raised blood sugar levels can cause peripheral neuropathy which causes tingling in the extremities.
To rule it out you need to get your fasting blood sugar levels and a HBA1c done.

3) The third possibility is of a spinal cause . Any spinal cause in the lower spine may be associated with tingling in the soles of feet and legs. So to rule out this possibility you need a MRI whole spine done after consulting a neurologist.

We need to confirm the diagnosis by getting your blood sugar levels, EKG heart, vitamin B 12 levels and a neurological examination from a neurologist done. You should eat a healthy diet consisting more of meat and non veg products which are sources of vitamin B 12. If you are a vegetarian then you can take vitamin B 12 supplements after consulting your physician.

Hope I have answered your query.If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Follow-up: Knee pain, tingling sensation in hands and feet. What could this be? 4 minutes later
could this be ms?my b12 level is 200 and i have cold feet and hand some time. back of my legs hurt realbad

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

It's not looks like multiple sclerosis. Multiple sclerosis, usually present with widespread symptoms like muscle weakness, clonus, muscle spasms, difficulties with coordination and balance, problems in speech or swallowing , visual problems and bladder and bowel difficulties.

Your vit B12 level is at borderline and may be the cause of your symptoms.

Your back of legs also hurts , so it might be due to the third possibility that is of spinal cause.

I hope that clears your doubts. Let me know if you any more concerns. If you have no further query, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Follow-up: Knee pain, tingling sensation in hands and feet. What could this be? 31 minutes later
I Muscle spasm i think and the tingling n the hands and feet but it seems like it hurt more on the right . does that matter? I know women has more ms than men but im worried about it. The muscle pain and my knees more on the right one and the muscle behind my legs really hurts .im glad that u dont think ms but still worried. do u think it couled be the b12 or vitamin d

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

It doesn't seem to be multiple sclerosis. It might be due to deficiency of both vitB12 and Vit D.

I advice you to take healthy diet XXXXXXX in these vitamins.You can take supplements of these vitamins and anti-inflammatory drug like motrin for pain control under your doctor supervision.

You can consult a neurologist for neurological examination and to clear your doubts.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Follow-up: Knee pain, tingling sensation in hands and feet. What could this be? 45 minutes later
I looked at my results and my vitamin d was 31 but my but my pain back of my legs and knees hurts real bad i notice the right side hurts more than the left my tingling and numbness is the way so what u think. Why do u think my feet and hands get cold

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

Cold hands and feet can be caused by peripheral neuropathy and spine which may be associated with tingling and numbness and pain over back of legs and knee.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...
Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.