Knee pain, hip pain, limping. Concerned about arthritis. Have anxiety and eczema.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I travelled overseas a month ago from a warm to a very cold climate and noticed during a long day of walking in the cold weather that my left leg was hurting. By that evening I couldn't put any pressure on my feet and assumed I'd walked too much. When resting the pain seemed to dissipate however when I walked, even short distances, in the cold I noticed sharp pain in my knee as well as pain around my hip area (top of my thigh, exact location is hard to identify but it seems to be joint related rather than muscular). Since returning home I have noticed that when I walk around, especially on hard or artificial surfaces my hip is quite sore and I am unable to walk without a limp in that leg. Also when I lay on my side I feel uncomfortable pressure and occasionally pain in that hip and knee. I have now rested for a good week and have been back in warm temperatures for almost two weeks so the start of the pain was five weeks ago. I have also always had a bit of trouble with my feet and legs but always recovery after sufficient rest periods. What could this be? I am 24 years old, female, and although it doesn't run in my family at all as far as I'm aware, I am concerned about arthritis and similar conditions. I seem to have a fairly weak immune system (my whole life I've been prone to colds - at least every 1 - 2 months since childhood) and do suffer from anxiety and eczema if this is relevant, however I have no other health concerns that I'm aware of and have a fairly healthy lifestyle (good diet, moderate exercise, don't smoke, only drink on occasion etc).
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The persistent pain in hip and knee could be due to joint inflammation or secondary osteoarthritic changes due to repeated fractures that you have suffered in the past. Deficiency of calcium can also be responsible fro this kind of pain and heaviness.
Since there is a limp while walking, you must need to rule out any partial ligament tears by investigations like MRI of the affected joint under the guidance of your Orthopedician. Till then-
Give adequate rest to your leg. Avoid weight bearing.
You can start with tablet Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for three days. Hot fomentation and local analgesic gels will also help in relieving the pain.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.