Knee pain, gives out suddenly, aching legs after standing too long. Related to bad knee?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
This past July I began having terrible knee pain. I was told that I need a tkr. Since then the pain has subsided so I have put the surgery off. It is the left knee that needs surgery. This past week my right leg next to the knee (which is the other leg) started bothering me. I will be walking and all of a sudden it gives out. The right knee doesn't hurt, just the side of the knee on the leg. Also if I stand for too long my legs get achy. Could this all be related to the bad knee?
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
The sudden giving out of the right leg while walking might be due to an injury to the ligaments or XXXXXXX structures of the knee joint. It is not likely to be related to the pain in the left leg that you are having. A physical examination by an orthopedician and investigations like MRI scan will help in confirmation of the diagnosis.
The aching of the legs on prolonged standing are often found in vitamin D and magnesium deficiency.

I suggest you to consult an endocrinologist and get prescribed vitamin D and magnesium supplements. Your symptoms should improve with that. Also eat magnesium XXXXXXX foods like bananas, beans, chickpeas, fish, nuts, soybeans, spinach etc which are natural sources of magnesium.

Regarding vitamin D levels, you need to take a XXXXXXX of vitamin D with milk or curd once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month. Each XXXXXXX contains 60,000 IU of vitamin D. But these should be taken only after getting your vitamin D levels checked.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.