Knee pain, feels hot in back of knee, leg feels better in morning, pain worsens on standing or walking. Taken Supartz for arthritis.

I have right knee pain. Had arthro in Feb 11, found some arthritis. I had 3 Supartz shots in Sept 11 and thats when I started feeling more knee pain. Feels hot in back of knee. I havnt been able to walk without limp in about 2 mos. Leg usually feels better in morning...the more I stand or walk the worse the pain thoughout the day.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have Tenderness or Joint stiffness?
2.) Do you have fever?
3.) Do you have Swelling over your right knee joint?
4.) Is your left knee fine?
5.) Did Supartz Shots give you any relief?
6.) What is your height and weight?

Your History suggests Osteoarthritis of Right Knee, It has to be confirmed. Kindly get yourself examined by a Orthopedician so that he/she may examine you in detail and suggest few tests like,

2.) MRI Scan.
3.) Bloodwork.
4.) Joint Fluid analysis to rule out if you have Gout or Infection.

Once the cause is confirmed you will be treated accordingly. Supartz is injected directly into the affected knee joint to restore cushioning and lubricating properties of the joint fluid. It is not a drug but a part of therapy. If this is not helping, you will require other interventions like,

1.) Steroid injections.
2.) Realigning the bones.
3.) Physical therapy.

In addition to this, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Exercise regularly like maintain a healthy weight. Reducing your weight will put less stress on your knees.
2.) Get adequate rest.
3.) Apply heat pads or cold packs to the affected joint.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.