Knee pain, electric shock feeling, knee catching and giving out, patella femoral syndrome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had moderate knee pain for two months, recently I have had sharp shooting electric shock feeling pain and my knee is catching and giving out. I have had xrays and mris with no meniscal tear, just patella femoral syndrome and tight retincular ligaments pulling my knee cap to the outside of knee.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
You seem to be suffering from a condition called as tight lateral retinaculum of knee. The lateral support of your Patella is unusually tighter than the medial one, causing a bio-mechanical mal-alignment of your extensor (quadriceps) mechanism. That's why you have that pain in knee and until you correct the deformity, it won't go.

Managing conservatively works for individuals with minor deformity and very little quadriceps weakness. Conservative treatment includes-

1.mechanical support by brace/ orthotics,
2.preventing overuse-by lifestyle modification,
3.releasing tight structures-by XXXXXXX frictional massage,
4.improving muscle balance-by selective muscles strengthening,
5.relieving local inflammation/painkillers-for temporary use, and finally
6.artificial lubrication-injecting synthetic fluid similar to what natural knee makes.

I suggest you consider visiting your physical therapist soon. Most of the aforesaid options will be readily available there. Since you had a surgery of the knee recently, muscle strengthening will help in reducing your problem.

For any reason if conservative treatment does not work out, do not worry. A small surgery where in the surgeon carefully and partially releases the tight retinaculum and balances the opposite lax retinaculum by tightening it. This automatically improves the quadriceps function and in turn eliminates the cause of pain.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.