Knee pain, anxiety, stiff knees, gets locked and makes clicking sound. Colicky and sore joints

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello , I've had a problem with my knee for over 2years now I've not had it looked at as I suffer with anxiety. My knee gives me incredible pain it started of with just clicking now and then when I got up. But then became painful and stif , it now clicks when I strighten it , it sometimes well quiet frequently locks mostly when I'm in bed , I will wake up at 2,3 in the morning in pain and unable to strighten my leg so I try and keep it stright when I sleep now but it gives me pain when I sit and when stand sometimes it will give way sleitly and the sounds that it makes are incredibly loud it's almost like a crunch and a click, i can feel it grinding as well and if I put my hand on top of my knee and strighten it I can feel almost like a bubbling feeling against my hand , I have colicky and sore joints in my hand and back but the pain in my knee is horrendous , but I've not been able to go to the doctors because of my exstreamly anxiety xxx
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later

I have read your history in detail. The three most likely possibilities are:
1. Infective arthritis- can be bacterial or tubercular infection.
2. Meniscus tear- due to injury or overuse.
3. Rheumatoid arthritis.

For diagnosis, investigations like MRI of the affected knee, Serum uric acid, RA factor, ESR, mantoux test, etc are entailed.

You need to consult a proficient orthopedician for proper diagnosis and further treatment.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.