Knee pain, ankle pain, worsens while sitting, clicking noise. Ibuprofen not relieving pain. Help!

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I am a 38 year old 5'1" female. 170 pounds. I am having pain in my right knee, lateral side, just below the patella. I also feel the pain in my ankle. It is worse when sitting, feels better when I walk. I had this same pain several years ago when I had a sedentary job. For the last 4 years I have a job where I walk all night and didn't have any problems until this week. There is also a clicking noise. I have been taking 800 mg ibuprofen but that isn't relieving the pain. Help!!
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 7 hours later

Thanks for posting the question.

The pain on lateral side of knee just below the patella could give an idea of inflammation of one of the following-

1. Your lateral collateral ligament which could be due to its strain, twisting episode or improper excessive walking,
2. Lateral meniscus tear,
3. Strain of iliotibial band,
4. Some biomechanical problem of foot causing pain in ankle and knee,
5. Patellar maltracking causing pain of lateral retinaculum.

Besides, there are many other reasons but I feel from your history it might be one of these, and can be confirmed only on clinical examination and certain investigations.

Consult your orthopaedician at the earliest if the pain does not subside on ibuprofen. Check your footware for wear and tear.

Do not bend the knee more than 90 degrees and no sports or exercises for few days. Local ointment may help with hot fomentation once in a while.

Avoid taking medicines for long time and establish a definite reason for the pain.

Hope you find this helpful. If you have any doubts, I'm available for follow up.