Knee pain after mountaineering. Looking for relief

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I feel some uneasiness in my right knee while training. I presume its Runner's knee. I do mountaineering and trekking actively and hence I need to be perfectly fit.
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
At your young age, the pain in the knee is more likely to be due to stress related minor capsular inflammation or runner's knee.
The mild inflammation of the knee after some activity like workouts or mountaineering mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Knee pain after mountaineering. Looking for relief 3 minutes later

But I do not have acute pain, only I feel little uneasy especially when I climb steep downhill or do intense exercise.

I will try knee braces.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The mild inflammation is often associated with mild uneasiness. Acute pain is not necessary. You can do a hot fomentation and apply a local analgesic gel over the area for relief. Using an elastic knee brace will help in earlier relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.