Knee pain. Taking painkillers. Can you advise better medication or oil?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi Sir,
My Mother is affected by Knee pain. She has this problem in both legs. She has this problem severely from last couple of months. Since she feels too much pain, she is having pain killer tablets for 2 times in a day. She couldn't get proper medicines since there is no doctors in my village. So Kindly advise me proper tablets or any oil kind of medicine.
*Note : She has some kind of allergies for heavy doss medicines.

Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I can understand your mother's problem. She seems to be suffering from arthritis of the knees which usually occurs in this age group. I would suggest the following,
1.     Mild exercise like a walk after hot water fomentation will help keep the joint mobile and prevent stiffness. She should avoid climbing stairs and squatting.
2.     If she is overweight, she would need to lose weight. Excessive weight puts a strain on the joints.
3.     Mild doses of analgesics like ibuprofen preferably at night to make the morning comfortable. However, they must be taken only when she has the pain. Long term use of these analgesics can lead to kidney damage. These are prescription drugs and she would have to consult a doctor in person for the same.
4.     Food additives containing glucosamines and chondroitin also help make the joint stronger.
5.     The best option, in fact, would be a physiotherapy regimen. This needs to be done under the guidance of a trained physiotherapist
6.     Massage with ordinary coconut oil will be soothing but needs to be done gently.
I would suggest you bring your mother to Bangalore for a few days. She would be able to get a prescription and carry a few months’ supply of drugs. In addition, she can learn the basic physiotherapy exercises and do them on her own subsequently. I hope my advice helps your mother to get relief.
With regards