Knee joint pain. Advice on treatment and exercise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My father's age about 65 year old, weighing 75kgs has been suffering from both legs joint knee pain problem last 5-6 years. He is in perfect health apart from this pain. Since last 15 days the pain has worsened especially in the morning and movement are not easier. We are planning to see a doctor shortly for this problem. It would be grateful if you could suggest what type of medication and treatment he would need? Also could you suggest some exercises which would help him. Thanks
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 20 hours later
Dear Musaffer,

Based on your history, I feel that your father may be suffering from Osteoarthritis of both knee Joints. Any extra load or stress, worsens the situation, usually temporarily.

Such situation comes under control with ice application, Pain killers and rest.

However, for the final diagnosis and treatment, he needs to undergo physical examination and investigations like X-rays-Both Knee Antero-Posterior, standing and lateral view, MRI knee joints, etc.

Muscle strengthening exercises will help him. But, it has to be done under physiotherapist guidance, as the proper method of doing should be demonstrated.

I hope, I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.