Knee injury, swelling down. But anything strenuous results in pain. Did I hurt bursa or patella?

I'm 51, in good health and physical condition (although appear to be getting clumsy in my old age). Two weeks ago I tripped stepping over a guard rail and banged my knee cap on the pavement. Iced it very day to keep the swelling down, which worked mostly (there was a good scrape that healed). However, now, whenever I do anything semi-strenuous (elliptical machine, tread mill, etc) it swells up and hurts that night and the next day. Hurts mostly now when I bend it. Am I not giving it enough time to heal or did I do something structurally to the patella, bursa sac, or other? Please advise. Thanks,

Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 6 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I think as result of banging of the knee on the guard rail, either there might be sprain is an injury in a joint, caused by the ligament being stretched beyond its capacity or hair line fracture.

I advise you to go for X XXXXXXX knee to rule out any such hair line fracture. Depending upon the x XXXXXXX treatment can be planned. If there is hair line fracture the part should be immobilized for few days.

I advise you to minimize weight bearing activity, and limit or stop the activity that caused the injury until healing has occurred. You should provide proper rest and can apply ice packs as you have already done, elevation and medications like over the counter pain killers and Non Steroidal Anti inflammatory drugs can be used.

Most hairline fractures heal with time and rest without the need of surgery. It should never be neglected in elderly as it might heal improperly and resulting in decreased movement of the joint.

So, I advise you to go for x XXXXXXX and consult the orthopedic surgeon with that.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.