Knee injury, rough cartilage on patella. Did foam roller. Does this happen with the IT band?

I have had several knee injuries to my left knee and have rough cartilage on my patella. I recently did to hot yoga classes back to back and noticed pain on the inside of my knee and when I straighten my knee it makes a popping sound when I walk and it sort of catches. I have not done anything tramatic do it, and I just noticeds this after all of the stretching last saturday when I did back to back classes. I did a foam roller and I dont have any pain once I rolled my IT Band out. Is this an issue IT band. It seems like I could not have injured the cartilage further with just stretching.
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 1 hour later

Thank you for writing in,

Your symptoms (difficulty in locking and unlocking of knee, popping sound on straightening, pain) are suggestive of Iliotibial band syndrome. Even meniscal injury presents with similar symptoms. Some tests have to be performed to localize the injury.

If its Meniscal injury, you might just be advised knee-cap or elastic crepe bandage application to the affected knee some muscle strengthening exercises and in severe cases, they may even advice surgery.

If its Iliotibial band syndrome, treatment will include Physiotherapy, symptomatic treatment like pain killers, and use of Foam roller.

Kindly visit an Orthopaedic surgeon. He will perform some tests to localize the injury and to grade the injury.

The treatment depends on the cause and severity which will be determined by examination and more precisely through MRI.

I've tried my best to give best possible answer.

Kindly write to me if you have any doubt. I’ll be happy to help you.