Knee injury, purple and swollen, hard feel to touch. Should I have this checked out?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I fell and hit my knee on a hard surface. Now it's a purple Color, swollen and has a hard feel to the touch. Should i have this checked out?
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
From your description, it is a hematoma that is a collection of blood in that region. The blood has clotted and has caused the swelling. The color changes are due to the degradation of the blood clot.
The fact that a clot big enough to cause a swelling has developed indicates the severity of the trauma. In view of the severity, it is advisable to get your knee checked by a orthopaedic surgeon in order to rule out any other intraarticular knee injury, which we may be missing here.
I hope this answers your query.
With regards