Knee injury, painful, pins and needles down leg. Any suggestions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell on my knee Yesterday and gradually it has become very painful mostly when it is bent and I have pins and needles going down my leg and foot. Any suggestions to what I've done to my knee?
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

1. Were you able to walk immediately after the fall?.
2. Is there any swelling in the knee? If yes, then whether the swelling appeared soon or took 2-3 hrs to show up?
3. Are you able to squat now?
4.Can you tell me where exactly is the pain (Over the patella, around the patella, on the inner aspect of knee or behind the knee)? Are there any sounds or restriction of knee movement you feel?
5. Do you see any bruise around the knee now?

It would be better if you can post a ordinary camera picture of your both knee joint including the leg.

It seems that you have sustained a sprain of patellar tendon or quadriceps expansion. I would suggest you consult your physician for a detailed evaluation. If you're able to walk, then probably your bones are normal. But i would still suggest that you get a Xray of your knees to rule out any bony injuries.

Awaiting for your response,

Follow-up: Knee injury, painful, pins and needles down leg. Any suggestions? 52 minutes later
Thankyou for responding to my a question
I can walk but after a while it begins to hurt
I think there is abit of swelling but I'm not sure as I'm blind.
When I squat I can feel it crunching
The pain is mainly around the patella but also stabs inside the knee and a burning sensation around the area of pain when I move my knee creeks and clicks. It hurts more when my knee is bent for a long time
Also on feeling my knee by the pain I can feel a lump that moves around when I touch it and on the right side to it there is an indent that I can place the flat tip of my finger in.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

1. It seems there might be a small chip fracture of your patella with or without patellar tendon injury or sprain.
2. It is advisable that you consult your primary care doctor / orthopaedician to get yourself examined. Your doctor might take Xray of your knee - AP / Lateral / Skyline views to look for any bony injuries including patella.
3. Till that time, you can wear a knee cap / crepe bandage and do ice fomentation to decrease the swelling. Avoid activities which needs bending of the knee like climbing stairs up & down, squatting, etc.,

The further treatment is based on the clinical & Xray findings.

I hope I have answered your queries. Feel free to ask if you have any further clarifications.