Knee injury led to pain. Why is it getting intense? Why is the swelling not leaving?

I banged my daughter's scooter into my knee this morning. I immediately had a searing pain and it was difficult to walk on for a few minutes, but then it went away. Now it only hurts when I bend or straighten my knee from a XXXXXXX bend (past my toes), as in crouching down and standing up, but the pain is really intense. The pain is located in the top right area of my left knee, above the kneecap. There is slight swelling, but nothing particularly noticeable. It doesn't hurt to walk or anything. Will this just go away on its own? Can I still run if it doesn't hurt?
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

As per your description you had a soft tissue injury only. The tissue over the knee cap might be torn. There is some amount of edema which tightens and restrict the space for the movement of knee cap during extension and flexion of the knee joint.

You can just apply ice pack for 10 minutes for four times. You should take a over the counter Ibuprufen 400mg after meal. Resting the movements for 24 hours helps a lot.

If you find the swelling increase day on day you should see a doctor.

Hope this helps. Let me if I have to answer any more queries else you may close our discussion and rate the answer.