Knee injury, finger pain, applied ice pack, stiffness. What do you think it could be?

2 months ago, I fell down the home stairs and landed badly on my knees (onto a wooden floor). Immediately the knees where the problem, I was in agony, but also after several minutes I realised a lot of the pain was coming from my 'wedding ring' finger, which I must have landed on also. It swelled above the knuckle and bruised almost immediately. Both knees also swelled, the left was worse however, and bruised but after ice packs and rest for the night, whilst sore they seemed ok - I was surprised as at the time I really thought I'd damaged something. My finger, hurt for weeks, but I could bend it, albeit it was extremely stiff and I couldn't wear my ring for a few weeks. Now nearly 8 weeks on, I have been left with a small bump on the outer part of the knuckle, which, if i wear my wedding ring for longer than a few hours, swells and becomes stiff to bend, alongside the stiffness is pain, feels a bit like its locking. This occurs everyday and does not seem to have got any better? What do you think it could be?
My left knee, is also a problem, since the fall, as when trying to kneel on it, it feels like I am kneeling on a 'press stud' or glass, its very painful but only when putting pressure on it. I have previously had a'bucket handle tear' on my right knee and surgery and this pain, is similar to the pain I had before the cartlidge tore into the bucket handle. Any ideas would be appreciated. I probably should have just gone to a & e a the time, but have been often of late, with son's broken foot from Rugby and husbands broken hand through work, so was embarrassed.
*I am 37, fairly fit, although have overactive thyroid. Am on analgesics for chronic nerve damage pain and endometriosis.
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I understand the pain you feel.

Nonetheless, you should get an X-ray of the wedding ring finger done to look for any hairline crack. You would also need to x-ray both the knees.

Ice packs alone with analgesics may not work all the time. A consultation with an orthopedician with the X-rays is warranted.

Better anti-inflammatory drugs and enzymes like chymoral forte will help in faster healing. Please discuss about these with the orthopedician.

Do write back in case of follow up queries that you may have.

Get well soon.