Knee got twisted while running, no external injury but difficulty in bearing weight. Tips for rapid recovery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Dr.,

Last Sunday I ran 10k Marathon in Bangalore. During the run, my knee got twisted and after a while it started paining at lower part of my left knee (below the knee cap joint). There is not external injury but I cant put my weight on my left leg now.

I visited Dr. XXXXXXX (Ortho at Dr. Levine Memorial Clinic, Sarjapura Road'. he took x-ray and confirmed no fracture but some muscle injury. He advised a week complete bed rest, some antibiotics and muscular ointment.

However, after 4 days complete rest and icing here is no much pain but , I cant put weight on left leg at it pain at the joint (but less as compared to previous days).

I am going to visit Dr. tomorrow but just a question for you if you have any better thought or suggestion for a faster recovery.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 1 hour later
Welcome at XXXXXXX

I have read details of your question.

If there is no finding on your x XXXXXXX & still you are having pain on putting weight on your knee then most probably there is XXXXXXX injury to soft tissue structures of the knee. You should do following-

-Ask for a MRI investigation of your affected knee.

-Avoid putting weight on your knee till you get a complete diagnosis.

-Apply a soft compression bandage from below upwards at your leg,starting from foot to thigh.

-Apply cool packs so that swelling can be reduced.Do it at least for three times a day for 3-5 minutes at each time.

-Take an anti inflammatory analgesic agent like paracetamol.This is comparatively safe analgesic & able to give you relief.

Your final treatment will be based on report of your MRI.If it comes to be rupture of anterior cruciate ligament(This soft tissue structure binds the thigh bone & leg bone at knee) then you may be advised surgery,this may also be true in case there is rupture of other soft tissue structure known as menisci.

Hope this all will be helpful.

If you need more information then please let me know.

With best wishes.
Follow-up: Knee got twisted while running, no external injury but difficulty in bearing weight. Tips for rapid recovery? 3 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for the useful advise. As my knee pain is coming down slowly, so I'll wait for another 2-3 days for MRI scan. Also, I'll continue taking complete rest with minimal leg movement.

Thanks again.

Wish you a happy & healthy life.