Knee getting red, warm and slightly swollen. Used ice on it. What should be done?

I finished working out a few hours ago. Now my knee is red and warm and slightly swollen? Overuse?? I have iced and elevated it. Any thing else?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Yes, over use of such weight bearing joints can cause ooze of fluid into the joint.This can be normal and will get better over time and on resting.

You are doing right,Icing is a best option also you can apply Diclofenac gel which will allow complete relaxation of the joint and faster recovery.

Do not massage the joint , this may worsen the condition.

If the swelling do not come down within a day , there may be need for it to be examined. Bleeding in joints as a consequence to torn ligaments could be a reason there.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 35 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Any history of fever, pain or tenderness in the knee? Is the left/right knee affected or both?

The fact that it is red, warm and swollen points to an inflammation. You are doing the right thing by applying ice pack and elevating the affected limb.It is quite possible that you might have a ligament injury, which could have caused the swelling. You could take over the counter anti inflammatory drugs like Brufen along with antacids, provided there is no prior history of allergy to the drugs or no history of gastritis. Rest is of prime importance in the healing process.

If the above measures do not bring any relief whatsoever, it would be best if you could visit your orthopaedician, who might do a complete blood picture ,along with X- XXXXXXX of the knee to make sure the inflammation is not due to other conditions like osteoarthritis , inflammatory arthritis etc.

Hope I have answered your queries.I would be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, kindly accept my answer.

Any reviews are welcome.

Have a nice day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan