Knee cracks and pops when straightening knee. Pain is increasing while walking on stairs. Suggest the treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi. When straightening my knee from a seated position my knee crackles and pops with great pain. When I squat there is great pain and crackling and grinding. Pain going up and down stairs.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You might be suffering from arthritis of patella.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Thanks for your query.

Considering your present complaints, you might be suffering from arthritis of patella. In early stages it presents as painful initiation of movement of knee and later on subsides during routine work. This condition is called as Chondromalacia patellae. But it is too early to say that you are suffering from this condition, without a proper clinical examination by an orthopaedician. Visit your doctor, get yourself examined. Your doctor will advice you to go for a xray.

Generally physiotherapy for your quadriceps muscle with straight leg raising and knee mobilisation will improve your muscle strength and will decrease the progression of arthritis.

Life style modifications like avoiding stairs, squatting, sitting cross legged & cycling will also help in reducing your symptoms. Reducing weight is of prime importance if you are overweight. If the pain is severe, you can take few doses of NSAID's (Ibuprofen) or physiotherapic modalities like IFT to relieve your pain.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Follow-up: Knee cracks and pops when straightening knee. Pain is increasing while walking on stairs. Suggest the treatment? 7 minutes later
These symptoms are coming after an ACI procedure to repair a cartilage defect(down to the bone) on my medial femoral chondyle region. Prior to this ACI surgery there was no pain squatting and no pain bending my knee. Is this a complication of my surgery? Could my knee cap be out of alignment? My ortho said to stop all PT( I am currently 10weeks post op) and that he'll see me in a couple of weeks and hope things are improving.....they are not, it I getting worse. The knee is warm,not too swollen.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be infection.

Detailed Answer:
It is not clear from your query that whether ACL reconstruction done or repair of cartilage defect on medial femoral condyle done.

As the knee is warm and you are in much pain, it seems to be infection. Get a complete blood count,ESR and CRP done.

There is feature to upload the reports and images. You can utilize that so that I can help you in better ways.
Follow-up: Knee cracks and pops when straightening knee. Pain is increasing while walking on stairs. Suggest the treatment? 3 hours later
Autologous Chondrocite Implantation medial femoral chondyle. Carticel implant.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
These could be complication of ACI surgery.

Detailed Answer:

Cartilage injury and weakness of patella bone (chondromalacia) or chondrosis can occur after ACI surgery. So I suggest you to get it examined clinically by your surgeon and treatment plan according to that.