Knee bruises afer standing for long time, crunching sounds when knees bent.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 18 year old daughter get knee bruises whenever she goes out and stands for hours or wears flat or high heel shoes. The bruises are always in the same location. Two on each knee in exactly the same positions. No bruising any other time. This year she started exercising and going to gym, but no problem there. Sound strange, but only when she goes out and stands for long periods then has painful knees the next day and her knees appear to lock and then she waits to start walking again . Her knees make horrible crunchy sounds all the time as well whenever she bends her knees. If you put your hand on her knees and she flexes them you can feel the crunching and grating. Bruises are located at base of knee and one on outer side near kneecap and one one top of kneecap. These disappear in couple of days until next time she goes out and next morning has bruises. What could this be.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

At her age, the symptoms she having are suggestive of inflammatory joint problem which gets aggravated by an abnormal posture. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate)and CRP (C-Reactive protein).
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.

She needs a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of an Orthopedician.

Till then, for symptomatic relief, she can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.