Knee and hand injury, had arthroscopic surgery, using Ibuprofen. Should I treat the knee with ice packs?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, two days ago I was carrying a dog ramp and as I turned to put it against the wall, I tripped with the edge of a piece of plywood and landed flat on my face...I guess most of the impact was on my left knee and right hand. Unfortunately, I had arthroscopic surgery on both those areas two years ago. My hand hurt tremendously and I put an ice pack around the thumb. Since the doctor was already gone home, his nurse told me that what I was doing was the best thing and if it got worse to go to the hospital. I knew it was not broken since I was able to move it, so I took about three ibuprofen and kept changing ice packs from the freezer. So far the pain is a lot less and the hand is blue and black bellow the thumb. I didn't pay as much attention to my left knee because of the pain in my hand, but now the knee is swollen and is sensitive to the feels like touching the foam that it is used at the base of floral arrangements..I can bend it and walk with no problem...( I forgot to mention that my knee surgery was for torn meniscus). So, do you think I should just treat the knee with ice packs and take ibuprofen to help with the swelling and pain?
My main concern is for my knee...I wonder why it feels sort of like pressing on "sponge foam"...???
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Both your knee and hand have been injured and a small amount of blood has collected inside. The change in skin colour of hand and swelling of knee with foam like feel is suggestive of an internal bleeding. It could indicate a tear of one of the ligaments or a hair line fracture. Ice packs will help in decreasing the further bleeding but will not help take care of the blood that has already been collected.
You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you, and order a magnetic resonance imaging scan (MRI scan) of the knee and hand to know the exact cause and provide appropriate treatment.
Till then, I would suggest the following:
•     Continue with ice packs and take tablet ibuprofen 400 mg thrice daily for temporary relief.
•     Avoid putting weight on your knee and avoid any movement of the injured joints even if the movement is painless.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.