Knee ACL reconstruction surgery done. Have stiffness and pain in knee. How to get relief?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi Doctor,
Greetings. This is XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX I underwent a right knee ACL reconstruction surgery on 12 October, 2012 after completely tearing my ACL and partial damaging my meniscus during a football game.
The surgery took place in Hosmat Bangalore and now its nearly 4 months since the surgery but there are a few problems that still persist, I am listing them down here, please tell me if they are expected or not:
1) The MRI report said I had grade II MCL damage too and even now 3-4 times I have had significant pain in the knee sides while I walk. This problem is the main cause behind me bothering you with this letter.
2) The injured leg doesnt get as straight as the other. In my veiw. my range starts with 5 instead of 0.
3) When I make the leg touch my hip, its not painless.
4) The leg is always stiff and if its in one position for long then to get it mobile again is painful.
5) I still have some limp in my walk.
6) A long day invariably gives me pain.
I understand many of these observations may be expected but I thought it would be wise to let an expert decide on it.
These days I am doing cyclying (20-30 min) and swimming (1-1.5 hours) as exercises to regain the leg strength back.
Please suggest me on how I can quickly get the leg back to how it was before the surgery.
Especially tell me if the knee side pain is expected or its something I should go see my surgeon for.
Thanks in advance for your valuable time.
XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Grade II MCL injuries are also considered incomplete tears of the MCL.Most often surgery is not necessary for the treatment of an MCL tear. Usually a period of 3-4 weeks of rest is necessary for its healing.Some knee side pain is expected but if you have still tenderness(painful on pressing) over medial(inner) side of knee after 4 months of injury then you need to go to your surgeon for examination.

Rest of your observation is expected for this duration and will become better soon with a good rehabilitation programme.Physical rehabilitation after ACL surgery may take several months to a year. The length of time until you can return to normal activities or sports is different for every person. It may range from 4 to 6 months.

It is good to doing cyclying and swimming to regain the leg strength back.Continue doing these low impact exercises.As you get stronger you need more life-reflective exercises like squats, lunges, etc to strengthen all the muscles around the joint.

I hope this is helpful to you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Knee ACL reconstruction surgery done. Have stiffness and pain in knee. How to get relief? 12 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks a ton for answering back. In reply to "Some knee side pain is expected but if you have still tenderness(painful on pressing) over medial(inner) side of knee", I do not have any pain in normal pressing of any portion of my knee at all times (I just feel awkward in the region where the stiches were) but like I mentioned in my query, some days I have pain in the left side my right knee while walking and on those days it only I have pain while pressing, it is quite considerable pain while walking but I have had it just on 4 days after I got full range. Also the pain goes away completely if I rest the following day.
Please suggest me if a visit to the surgeon is required.
Also the last time I checked with my surgeon he told me that I will get more confidence on my knee when the nerves grow around the new ligament, could you please tell me how long does this nerve growth normally take.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

From description, it seems all these things as a process of healing. Do not worry. these things will subside with time and good rehabilitation programme as advised by your surgeon.

It will take 4-6 months for healing and nerve growth.

I hope that clears your doubts.

Take care,

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Hello Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for the wishes and for clearing my doubts. I respect your time and feel privileged that you spared some to silence my concerns. It really means a lot to me :)

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am glad to know that I was able to address your concern.
If you have no further query,please close the discussion,rate the answer and give your review.

You can consult me again directly through my profile WWW.WWWW.WW
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.