Kidney ultrasound showed creatinine levels 1.4 to 1.5. Normal?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi Dr. Grief:
My question is---what is considered high enough creatinine levels to warrant a kidney ultrasound to check for kidney problems. My levels have ranged from 1 to 1.2 until recently which are now 1.4 to 1.5. Thanks for you comment.
Also, are there reasonable changes I can make in diet or water intake---tea instead of coffee that would bring levels back to normal range.

Thanks, XXXXX
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
This is still not some significant elevation and usually it is found in healthy people and isnt indicating any kidney disease so you dont have to be worried.
1.8 and higher creatinine level is usually alarming and may suggest beginning of some kidney disorder.
1.4-1.6 requires only follow up in 4 weeks. If there is still elevation of creatinine then you need work up,not just ultrasound,but also urography and scinigraphy.
So at this point i dont think it is necessary to do further tests especially if you dont have other symptoms such as uroinfection,blood in urine,pain in kidneys, incontinence or unexplained fever.
For dietary changes it is advisable to eat: cabbage, carrots, lettuce, onions, cranberries, sprouts, high fiber foods and avoid red meat, caffeine, foods containing XXXXXXX flour and sugar.
Drink as much water as possible, cranberry juice, Aloe Vera juice.

Food like milk, eggs, lean meat, chicken and fish are preferable.
avoid smoking and alcohol,regulate blood pressure and blood sugar and I am sure everything will be fine.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards