Kidney ultrasound done. Found cyst in both kidney. What treatment should be done?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi my name is XXXXXXX my Dr. is out of town and the nurse just read my kidney ultrasound results to me.
2010 Right kidney had a bilateral cyst of 3.2 - 2013 it is now 3.4
2010 Left kidney had a bilateral cyst of 5.1 - 2013 it is now 6.9
What does this increase in size mean and what can I do?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 55 minutes later
Kidney cysts are very common and most of them are benign and dont require any treatment.
Our rule is that every cysts must be removed when cause symptoms or when we suspect that it is malignant.
Simple kidney cysts may not cause symptoms. Occasionally, however, a kidney cyst can cause pain, infection or bleeding. Also cysts can interfere with proper kidney function and can press organs around it.
So if you have any of these sign or your laboratory shows abnormal kidney function you should remove it surgically.

The left one is pretty big and shows increasing tendency. So soon or later it will cause problems and i recommend its removal. It can be done easily laparoscopicaly too and is a routine procedure.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Kidney ultrasound done. Found cyst in both kidney. What treatment should be done? 11 minutes later
Thank you! The nurse did just call back and she was able to get an answer from the Dr. who is on vacation. She expressed concern so I am now going to a kidney specialist tomorrow.

Thank you for your reply!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 minutes later
Definitely visit specialist. You are too young for some serious diagnosis, but to be sure better do some more tests such as CT scan and cytology analysis. If something is suspect removal can always be done.
Wish you luck.