Kidney transplant done. How to reduce the creatine level?

Nephrologist
Question
HI sir, my kindey Transplat is done before 1 year ago now my creaine is 1.6 is is good or not? what action to be taken to reduce the creatine level? how much wate intakin daily
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

There can be various reasons for your creatinine to be 1.6 (it is not normal)

If your donor is older or had a slightly reduced function it can be responsible for a slightly higher creatinine.

Being overweight, having high blood pressure or certain medicine can cause higher creatinine.

High tacrolimus levels can also lead to an increased creatinine.

Keep weight and BP under control, Check your Tac level and Urine R/M for protein.

If none of this suggest a cause, it may be due to Chronic Allograft Nephropathy (CAN), which can be diagnosed only by a biopsy.

If you have no swelling a Fluid intake 2 to 3 liters is adequate.

Follow-up: Kidney transplant done. How to reduce the creatine level? 21 minutes later
My tag level is 7.2 is it high

Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

It depends, if your donor is a close relative and has had a good HLA match then at 1yr a lower level below 5 can be attempted.

However if your donor is not a close relative, or you have had an episode of rejection a level between 5 to 6 may be OK.