Kidney test done. What does these values suggest?

my bun count is 10.29, creatine 0.94 & bun/creatine ratio is 10.95. , calcium 9.46, uric acid 6.71. are these values show normal kidney functions. tests carried out at thyrocare technologies Ltd.
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Urine tests:
BUN looks normal. (assuming it is in mg/dl)
Creatinine looks normal. (Also mg/dl)
BUN/Creatinine ratio is also normal.

Blood tests:
Calcium is normal. (mg/dl)
Uric acid is also normal. (mg/dl)

Urine tests do indicate a healthy picture of your kidney. But, there are many investigations apart from urine levels of BUN and creatinine to evaluate the complete kidney function. Those tests include KUB radiographs, ultrasound etc. And they will be appropriately referred by your physician if the need arises.

I believe if you have no complaints to begin with, and have undergone these tests without medical supervision - then I would suggest you to confide to your doctor why you thought a urine examination was necessary in the first place, and with Calcium and uric acid tests. Because, normal levels are fine, but getting evaluated in totality is important if you have any related symptoms.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.