Kidney stones, infections. Urine drug test shows positive for cocaine. Can kidney problems give false positive on drug test?

Question
My name is XXXXXXX. I am a 29 year old male. I have had a recent history of kidney problems including kidney stones which were severe enough to require the insertion of a stent and a subsequent procedure to break up the stones. Additionally I have suffered from two separate kidney infections requiring an anitbiotic i.v. I recently was urine drug tested and came up positive for cocaine, which I certainly did not use. Can my kidney problems have caused a false positive on this test?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Most drug tests that check for cocaine look for benzoylecgonine, a product of the body's metabolism of the drug. False positive cocaine test can come in kidney infection which you were already having.

Moreover drugs like antibiotics like amoxicillin, ampicillin and topical anaesthetics derived from cocaine can cause false positive test. In your case, the kidney infection seems to be the culprit.

Additionally another possible cause is ingesting coca, the plant from which cocaine is derived. Coca leaves, particularly when brewed as a tea. You should keep this possibility also in mind.

You should get a repeat test done after some days.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Kidney stones, infections. Urine drug test shows positive for cocaine. Can kidney problems give false positive on drug test? 23 hours later
My medical condition has already been documented in court. In addition I have been tested since the initial test and have come up negative. Should this be significant medical evidence to pursue challenging the validity of the positive result on medical grounds?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Since there is a known incidence of false positive reactions occuring because of the medical condition like kidney conditions and antibiotics, I believe this cannot be proved in court and cannot be challenged.

Regards.