Kidney patient, diagnosed with thyroid. Taking Thyronorm. Should I continue?

Question
Hello,I am a stage 3 kidney patient (creatinine- 4.0) I have recently been diagnised for Thyroid (TSH high 8.6) and used Thyronorm 25mcg & 50mg tablets for three months each. Now, recent ly tested TSH (UltraTSH level) was found to be 4.65 and appears to be within range.Should I further continue the same medicine , if so for how long?Whether taking thyroid medication for long periods will result in water retention (swelling) of the body?
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is lifelong

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in. Treatment of hypothyroidism is lifelong because it occurs due to permanent reduction in thyroid hormone synthesis. So your treatment will be long term. Thyronorm is nothing but thyroid hormone and is being given to you because its deficient in your body. it wont have any adverse effects including water retention. You will have to continue the same dose. Make sure you take tablets regularly and empty stomach early morning. Check TSH periodically every 3-6 months. With this you will be fine and hypothyroidism will be undrr control
Hope this helps

Follow-up: Kidney patient, diagnosed with thyroid. Taking Thyronorm. Should I continue? 12 hours later
You had mentioned "empty stomach early morning" ; I go to stools normally after 8AM in morning;Does this mean that I should take the Thyronorm tablet after 8AM daily?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No relation with stools

Detailed Answer:
No relation with stools. Empty stomach means no food has to be taken. You can take at 7 am.
Shivaprasad