Ask a Urologist   »  

Kidney pain, fever, nausea, painful frequent urination, taken Sulfameth

20 year old female (5'6, 120 lbs) i went to the doctor 3 days ago for kidney pain, fever, nausea, painful/frequent urination, and was diagnosed with a bladder infection. I was prescribed sulfameth. since then my fever, nausea and especially kidney pain have gotten a lot worse. The pain is becoming intolerable and i am very nauseous. what should i do?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 55 minutes later

You need to stop taking sulfameth if the pain,fever etc is worse.
The drug type may not be suitable for your body.You may even be allergic to it.

I suggest you follow up with your doctor and have the medication type changed.
I would also suggest a urine test with drug sensitivity and an ultrasound of the kidney,ureter and bladder.With the fever you definitely have an focus of infection somewhere,but the right drug has to be given.

You need these tests done soon so go and see your doctor at the earliest opportunity.