Kidney malfunction,high serum creatine and urea,dialysis

Hi Doctor,

In the month of July 2011 my elder brother,age 40 years,has been diagnosed with kidney malfunction.
Suddenly two components namely,Serum Creatinine and Urea has reached upto the level of 12 and 135 respectively.He has been put on dialysis for last one month frequency being twice a week.
Still we dont see any significant improvement in his condition.

Kindly suggest what should we do now.Do we need a kidney transplant and if yes then how soon it should be done?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later

The high serum urea and creatinine levels can be due to acute or chronic renal failure for which your brother has been put on dialysis.

There are multiple reasons for acute and chronic renal malfunction and the chances of recovery depends upon the cause of renal failure.

It needs a complete evaluation to find out the cause and your treating physician is the best person to guide you in this regard.

To find out the cause, I would suggest you to have a thorough investigations and examination under your physician's guidance.

You need not be disheartened as most of the causes are reversible with proper treatment and do not need renal transplant.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Kidney malfunction,high serum creatine and urea,dialysis 2 days later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the in-depth response and thorough understanding.
Doctors are not able to investigate the reason of renal failure as of now.
Also,there are no signs of diabetes or any other disease by the grace of God till date

Just for your reference,I am sharing the list of the medicines prescribed to my brother.

Amlovas 5
Minipress*2 2.5
Cefixime 200
Shelcal 500
Bio-D3 .25
Folinext 100
Livogen-Z tablets

Also,below table shows the reports after 5th,6th and 7th dialysis.

PreBP      Post BP      Pre Wt     Post Wt     Blood Urea Serum creatinine
5th dialysis 140/100     130/100 67.5      65.3      113          9.15
6th dialysis 150/90     140/90     65.40     64.36      125          9.48
7th dialysis 150/90     150/90     64.10     62.79      134          12

Kindly suggest if we are going on the right track or should we go ahead for second opinion.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Your brother is hypertensive and has been given anti hypertensives. Renal infections, medications like pain killers, renal calculus, polycystic kidneys need to be ruled out. Chronic renal failure can happen due to immunological causes and hypertension also in which case only supportive treatment is helpful which your brother is getting.
Going for a second opinion is always helpful in such chronic problems.
Wishing you an early recovery.