Kidney infections, cipro, bactrim, culture negative. Treatment ?

I get fairly frequent kidney infections- about once a year- and they usually clear up with cipro- last year it took bactrim,and two courses of cipro to clear up- my culture came back negative- but im on the 8th day of cipro and still have symptoms. i dont have an appointment with the uro until fridya. am on cipro til then
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

You have described well but would like to know few more things that would help me in suggesting you better:
1.May I know the symptoms you are facing?
2.Did you get any investigations done?
3.Were you diagnosed with any medical conditions like Pyelonephritis?
4.Which part of the urinary system is infection prone?

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after knowing the details.

Please do write back with the answers to the above questions as this would help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Kidney infections, cipro, bactrim, culture negative. Treatment ? 2 hours later
Symptoms are back pain below the waist, sometimes running down the front or back of the leg, sometimes a slight squeeezing pain on either side of the stomach

over the phonje by my urologist

tend to get kidney infections- once a year

have not been diagonsed with pyelonephriitis

sometimes get back pains after taking a round of antibotics that mimc the kidney infection even tho the culture is negative

Infection of the renal system is not uncommon among women. But it would be good idea to know from where exactly has the infection originated. Various parts of the urinary tract / genital region may be involved here.

Kidney infection per say - means infection of the upper urinary tract mainly involving the kidneys. There may be various causes for that. Pyelonephritis - means actual infection in the kidneys. This needs medical treatment immediately.

Usually the infection may enter the urinary system from the vagina, rectum or skin. Renal calculi is an important cause to be ruled out.

The underlying cause needs to be determined and for that test have to be done. Urine tests, renal function test, ultrasound of pelvis, IVP are some of the tests that need to be done.

Unless the cause is eradicated there wont be any permanent cure.

The following measures can be helpful to you.
-Drink plenty of water, 3-4 lit a day.
-Avoid alcohol,caffeine.
-Don't stop the antibiotics yet.
-Take a pain killer like drotavarine etc.
-Get these tests done when you see the doctor.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for posting your query here. Wish you good health